Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Updates

I can't remember whether I posted this information or not, but last Monday's doctor's appointment found Lily to be breech. I was given a few choices (1) induction, (2) vaginal breech, (3) turning her, and (4) c-section. None of these appealed to me. As we've said before, we'd really like to do this on Lily's terms.

One of my biggest concerns before going to yesterday's appointment was that the doctor was going to push induction. After hearing from another mom that induction was not good on babies, I decided to do a little research myself. I found out that the drug Pitocin, which is commonly used to induce, can cause fetal distress. Now, I might be wrong here, but it seems to me that if babies with T-18 are likely to go through distress during birth, why would I want to add more distress in the form of a synthetic hormone? It just doesn't seem right to me. Plus, I was not induced with Rani and Autumn, but I was with Gabriel, and I just feel as if his birth was harder. I was put on oxygen with him, I had to lay on my left side, and his heartrate dropped. I don't remember those things happening with the girls. I went to the doctor with research in hand.

I had a few surprises at the doctor's. First, Lily has turned again! (My assistant has nicknamed her Flipper.) I am happy to inform you all that she is now head down. Second, the doctor didn't even mention induction! I feel as if this was an answered prayer! I was certain that he would. He asked Dave and me what we wanted to do, so we told him we'd like to just wait. I have another appointment on Monday--my birthday.

As for the ultrasound, it was quite uneventful. We had a different sonographer, and she didn't give us the special attention our usual one gives us. But that's ok. We had such a great experience previously that I can overlook this one. Anyway, according to the measurements, Lily should weigh around 5 pounds 12 ounces. Way to go, Lily! She's up from 4 pounds 6 ounces from about a month ago. Her other measurements (head, abdomen) are about 4 weeks behind, but that is to be expected. The space that indicates a smaller-than-normal cerebellum still exists in the back of her brain, but her kidneys and stomach still seem to be working properly, and she was practicing her breathing, which was cute to see.

Oh, going back a few days to Sunday night, I did have contractions. They lasted about 3 1/2 hours and were quite irregular. The doctor said that happens sometimes. And here it is, Wednesday, and I'm just waiting for them to start back up. Lily is kicking up a storm, which is especially impressive since I'm over the due date. Stubborn little booger!

One more thing. . .I'd like to take a few minutes to thank you all for your support. I am grateful beyond words for your prayers. Your words of encouragement in your emails, in your comments, and at work offer me so much comfort. I know Lily feels your love through me and I can't help but think that you have played a part in keeping her here with us for this long. Love has such an amazing power! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

9 comments:

  1. Flipper is such a cute nickname...Ditto on 'Way to go Lily'! I think of and pray for you and Lily everyday and look forward to hearing some good news soon! Love, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Jill,

    I can't tell you how happy I am to see an update on you... I am just a reader in a faraway place called Singapore (got to read your Blog from Little Vera's blog)...

    Guess we will have to just wait for our little princess to make her grand entrance :) Way to go Lily! Love, Junita

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for the entire family everyday. I have good feelings. I always trust my feelings! We are awaiting your arrival...Whenever you're ready, Flipper!!! (Jill, I would have posted sooner, but just figured out how to do it a few days ago!) Love, Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog last week and have been looking for an update on this precious baby girl of yours! I will keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jill, I am thinking of you, Lily, and your family all of the time. I've been waiting for news so it is wonderful to learn that Lily is doing well. My prayers are with you. Shannon Paul (Oliver's mom)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Jill,

    please feel encouraged that Lily wants to remain in your tummy to get as strong as she can get before coming out. Lily is already 2.5kg. That's a very good weight. Vera was only 1.9kg when she came out. I believe you have a fighter in there...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go little cuz! Hey, I'm in town all weekend, and off from work Monday! I can't wait to see you guys!

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for the update jill! i've been thinking of you all so much. lily is certainly a fighter, i can't wait to hear her birth story! continued thoughts and prayers are being sent your way ... take care! love, laurie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Waiting...praying...waiting...praying...

    I never stop thinking about you.
    Jen

    ReplyDelete