Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Updates and Reaching Out

We had the GI appointment, and still, no answers. Lily's feeling a whole lot better, though, and her fever is gone. After her appointment, Lily had another abdominal ultrasound and then an abdominal x-ray. Then she had some labwork done.

So it's not the gall stones. The sludge is still there, but there was no evidence of inflammation. There also was no evidence of an obstruction. There was, however, evidence of constipation. And that could actually cause the vomiting if it puts pressure on Lily's stomach. Then there's the issue of possible reflux. Apparently, reflux can cause this sinus stuff that we've been dealing with for far too long. (The only reason reflux never crossed my mind was because Lily never acts like she's in pain.)

The Rx? More medicine than I think I know what to do with for the next two weeks. If this doesn't clear up, then the doctor is going to order a scan that lets them see if her stomach is emptying in a timely manner. So, for the next two weeks, we are to give her Zantac for the reflux and some other antacid type medicine, Miralax for the constipation (beginning with a high dose for the next few days to basically clean her out and then lowering it to an easier amount), and an enema to speed the cleaning out along.

What's interesting is that I've been wondering all along if Lily's vomiting had anything to do with allergies, since it began after we moved here (adding carpet and an indoor dog with the move). But after hearing the doctor today and thinking about what all has happened in the past year, it dawned on me that maybe. . .hopefully. . .Lily's vomiting has been related to constipation. Before we moved here, Lily was nursed, and we had no trouble with constipation. Right after we moved, she got her g-tube and was put on formula. Her stools changed. If only this were the answer! (But how horrible to have taken so long to figure it out. Poor Lily!) We'll see what the next few weeks bring.

Last night, I received an email from Connie, Mallorie's mom (see Our Little Teapot under Angel Friends in the right bar) asking me to help with reaching out to a mother who just adopted two special needs children from Eastern Europe (remember my post about Shaun from Reese's Rainbow?).

Actually, I'm getting ahead of myself because when I went to this mother's blog http://wronginalltherightways-travcat.blogspot.com/, the first thing I saw was this quote and I'm still getting chills from reading it: I'd like to ask God why He lets poverty and injustice exist, why there are so many orphans and why He does nothing about it, but I am afraid He would ask me the same question.

I honestly froze! I don't know if she wrote this, but this thought, that God might just ask me why I let poverty and injustice and orphans exist blows my mind. How ashamed I would be! How ashamed I am.

So immediately, I was hooked. And Connie's plea to help her reach out causes me now to share this with you.

For time's sake (and it must be short because I'm terribly tired), I'll just share this blog that gives a brief explanation of the need:
http://covenantbuilders.blogspot.com/2011/06/family-in-need.html

And this blog, written by someone else who has gone through a similar experience, gives more specifics. This mother is spearheading the movement to help Catherine. http://carringtonscourage.blogspot.com/

If you get a chance, take a look at these blogs. They are heartbreaking. They are compelling. They dare me to move.





1 comment:

  1. Hoping that Lily recovers soon and that you can get some answers. Always thinking of you. Shannon

    ReplyDelete