Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Silent Conversation

A long (long) time ago, my best friend, Yvonne, and I were driving down the road, not saying anything to each other.  She looked over at me and said, "You know you're with your best friend when you can drive down the road, not saying anything, and feel completely comfortable in the silence."  She was so right.  In that silence, in that comfort, so much was said between us--these two best friends--that we didn't need words.

The same can be said between me and Lily.  Don't get me wrong, she's a very vocal little girl!  But there are times when we're just sitting together, in the silence, and I leave that moment feeling as if an entire conversation had just occurred.  Of course, I couldn't tell you anything that we talked about, but the moment itself is so refreshing and fulfilling.  Like a conversation with God.

Lily has that power.  The power to communicate without saying a word, without making a sound.  Her eyes express so much, but it's not just in her eyes.  It's in her being.  It's part of her gift.

It kills me to know that there are people out there who don't think our Trisomy 18 kids have much to offer.  I can't say I have refreshing, fulfilling conversations every time I have a conversation with a 'normal' person.  As a matter of fact, there are many conversations I leave unsatisfied.  So in that respect, Lily, with all of her disabilities, offers more.

***My little girl is sick.  She finally got her medication on Friday, but now we're dealing with a strong cough that's causing her to vomit.  And a fever.  She's sleeping right now, but she's having a lot of apnea spells.  Her poor little sinuses get so clogged!  Please pray for a quick recovery.***

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful Post! Continuing to pray for your precious Lily! Hugs and Prayers, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get well soon Lily! Totally get what you mean by Conversations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for Lily! Glad to hear the med was finally approved!

    ReplyDelete