Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Survival

What a surprise! Yesterday was not as difficult of a day as I expected. I won't go into any elaborate details, other than to say this:

When I got home yesterday afternoon and walked through the door, this overwhelming sense of. . .accomplishment? pride?. . .came over me. I know why it did. Because I survived the day. Mind you, I said it wasn't as difficult as I expected, but it wasn't easy either. And I survived!

Had my day been easy, I never would have had that overwhelming sense that really almost knocked me off of my feet. And this is why: at the end of the day, I celebrate difficulties. Sure, I whine about them. I'm no saint. But when it's all said and done, and I've survived (notice that I didn't say succeeded because there are some days when I'm not successful). . .Wow! What an empowering feeling!

That's just what life with a special needs child is like. It's difficult, I won't lie. But it's also so rewarding because there are days when you can sit back and breathe and realize how strong of a person you actually are because despite all of the difficulties, you survived.

As for Lily's scan results. . .

her stomach does empty more slowly than normal. The doctor has prescribed the antibiotic Erythromycin. Apparently, in small doses, it helps with motility. In two weeks, we're going to up her feeds to 5.5 ounces, something that caused vomiting every time we tried in the past. If the vomiting continues, we're going to change her formula to something that digests a little easier. And if that doesn't work, we'll be giving Lily a feed while she sleeps (something I'm hoping we won't have to do, but if it keeps the vomiting away and allows Lily to get the number of calories she needs, I'll gladly do it.) At least this is all something I can deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment