Wednesday, January 20, 2016

It's a Jolly Holiday

When Lily was a baby, she cried a lot.  I can specifically remember a day: she was crying, and I took her outside on the front porch and rocked her, trying to get her to stop crying.  While I rocked her, I sang the tune "Jolly Holiday" from Mary Poppins, Lily-style: 

It's a jolly holiday with Lily.
Lily makes your heart so light.
When the day is gray and ordinary,
Lily makes the sun shine bright.
Happiness is blooming all around her.
The daffodils are smiling at the doves.
When Lily holds your hand,
You feel so grand.
Your heart starts beating like a big brass band.
It's a jolly holiday with Lily.
No wonder that it's Lily that we love.

I can't think of a more appropriate song for this little girl.

One time when she was in the hospital (I think after her bowel obstruction), she was crying, so they let me hold her.  I started singing that song, and she immediately stopped crying.

She knows this song.

When Dave texted me early Monday morning (the morning Lily was admitted), telling me that Lily wasn't doing so well and to get the kids and come to the hospital, there came a time while I was driving, when all I wanted to do was get to the hospital and sing that song to her.

Remind her that this is how much she means to me.  

Even today, when I got here, she was in good spirits, sitting up in her chair, but she wasn't her playful self.  When I was all alone in the room, I sang that song, and I swear, that's when she took my hand and started beating it against her leg and started stomping her feet and started cooing.  It's almost as if she was singing along with me.

Yes, she knows this song.

So if you know the tune, sing it.  For Lily.  This little girl has a lot of people cheering her on and praying for her.  Probably because they feel the same way about Lily, too.

When Lily holds your hand, you feel so grand.
Your heart starts beating like a big brass band.
It's a jolly holiday with Lily.
No wonder that it's Lily that we love!

No comments:

Post a Comment