Wednesday, April 27, 2011

A Busy Summer

It seems as if little Miss Lily is going to have a busy summer this year! She will be attending a summer camp for special needs children. I'm so excited for her, but I think it's going to be hard letting her go. I've probably not been away from Lily (except for when Soleil was born) for more than five hours. And each time, she's been with either my mom or Dave's mom, or Rani or Autumn (or Mrs. Reeves, a former co-worker of mine). All good hands, for sure.

For summer camp, I'll be releasing her into the hands of a stranger. I'm not so worried about that as I am wondering Will Lily know she's not at home? Will she miss us and wonder what we're doing without her? All of Lily's therapists have recommended this place; otherwise, I would not send her to this camp.

It's like a dream come true, though. Lily will receive some type of therapy every day for five weeks! Plus, she'll get to go swimming and to the waterpark, and she'll have equestrian therapy and dance/movement classes, as well as music therapy. She'll also be exposed to equipment we don't have here at home.

Oh, how I'll miss her, though! I guess it's a good start because when she turns three, she'll be eligible for public school. We're actually hoping she'll be able to attend the school that is putting on the summer camp.

Maybe I'll try to volunteer at the camp a little throughout her time there. Of course, with Soleil nursing (and being suddenly stubborn about taking a bottle), I won't be able to stay there the entire six hours, but being there a little may cushion the blow.

Regardless of how difficult it will be for me to let go of her for those few hours, in my heart, I know it will be good for Lily. I guess, in some strange way, it will be good for me, too.

3 comments:

  1. This camp sounds amazing! I know I had a hard time letting any of my kids go places without me, and can't imagine what it would have been like to let my special needs little guy go somewhere like that, but I'm sure that she'll do just fine. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 5 weeks! (She will come home at night, right?) Wow - I bet she grows a lot during at camp - all that exposure to therapies and new experiences. You are so brave to be able to let her be away from you that long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful experience for her! I'm so excited that she's going to get to go however I know she will miss mommy and being home! The exposure to different things/therapies/ equipment and the recommendations that will come may blow you away. Praying for all of you that its a positive experience; it sounds wonderful. Here in WV we have something similar but it only lasts a week! Yeah for SC and Lily!! Take Care
    Hugs and Prayers
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete