Friday, February 12, 2010

It's Snowing!

I can't help it. I come from the South, where school snow days means, if we're lucky, we got 1/4" of snow. I guarantee you, if I went in to Kroger right now, there would be no milk and no bread on the shelves, even though the prediction is that it's going to snow from 3 pm until 6 am. Hope no one goes hungry. :)

Still, I hope it sticks and I can't wait to put Lily's little bear suit on and get her outside so flakes drop on her head. I hope it sticks so I can get out with Gabriel and make a little snowman. It's probably going to be a world record for the smallest snowman ever made, but he loves snowmen and he won't care that it's small as long as it's bigger than his playdough snowmen.

There's just something magical about a child seeing his first snow. Snowflakes falling in your hair. Accumulation! The flakes are pretty small right now, but every once in a while, one with substance falls. I look out my window, oh, every ten seconds or so, and there just seems to be more and more and they're falling faster and faster. I'm so excited! I'm a child again!

As for Lily. . .she had another cardiologist appointment on Wednesday. Looking good! The VSD is still there, and still moderate, but it's closing, and the doctor thinks everything is looking good. (Snow's coming down harder!) He asked me when I wanted to come back. So we'll return in three months.

Lily also had an appointment with her pediatrician on Wednesday. He was given a prescript for blood work from the GI, but he wasn't sure why. Neither was I. I asked him what he thought, and he said, In the past, we've not done bloodwork on babies with Trisomy 18. They have Trisomy 18. He was not trying to be heartless when he said this, just honest. But I got it, and it got me thinking. Why does Lily need the bloodwork? We know she has an inflamed liver, but according to the ped, people walk around with elevated enzymes in their livers all the time. We know she has gall bladder sludge. But it's just sludge right now. According to him, she's not in pain from these two things. (Snow's beginning to stick!) So, why should we put her through the pain of bloodwork and IVs and test after test after test? Dave and I are thinking that maybe we're going to take a break from it all and let her be the baby she needs to be. She doesn't need those tests right now.

So, please, if you will, please pray that Lily continues to astound us with how well she's doing, and please pray that our decisions are the right decisions. We have so much to be thankful for--health, generous friends and family, my ability to stay at home. . .the list goes on.

It's a beautiful, white day. I can't wait for Gabriel to wake up from his nap so we can go outside and enjoy the snow! Pictures to follow.

2 comments:

  1. I can sense you're so much happier now at home with your two babies. What a great decision you made!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that Lily is doing so well. Lucky you with the snow.

    ReplyDelete